1. The Sumerian civiization arose in the Tigris-Euphrates Valley
2.The strip of fertile land that begins at the Isthmus of Suez and arcs through Southwest Asia to the Persian Gulf is called the Fertile Crescent
3. Sumerian writing, today called Cuneiform , was made by pressing a stylus into clay tablets.
4. The Sumerians may have invented the arch , a curved structure over an opening.
5. Sumerian temples, called Ziggurats , were made of baked brick placed in layers and looked like a wedding cake.
6. Assyrians were the first to use cavalry- soldiers on horseback.
7. Code of Hammurabi is a collection of Babylonian laws which dealt with all aspects of life
8. Nebuchadnezzer's hanging gardens were one of the Seven Wonders of the world.
9. The Akkadians were mesopotamian people who attacked and conquered the Sumerians.
10. Hittites were some of the first people to smelt iron.
11. The present-day regions of Israel, Lebanon, and Syria were once called Phoenicians.
12. Phoenicia consisted of a loose confederation of City- States, each governed by a different king.
13. The Phoenicians invented the art of glass- blowing, and the city of Sidon became the well-known home of this industry.
14. Phoenicians also collected shellfish called murex to make a purple dye.
15. Phoenician sculptors often used ivory, highly prized in the ancient world, which was imported from North and East Africa.